SmarterShade is an aftermarket window treatment solution, similar in concept to the emerging technology being called “smart windows” but designed to be more durable at a much lower cost than smart windows.
The first generation of SmarterShade is an in-window film that is sealed in, in between the panes of an insulated glass unit (IGU). This functions similarly to between the glass 'miniblinds.' This film is designed so that it will selectably tint at the push of a button. SmarterShade not only gives the user the ability to tint the window, but also to control
the level of tinting. A window can go from clear to dark or anywhere in between. Our products can be applied to windows that are positioned in difficult places, or where a traditional blind or shade is not practical. This includes windows in walls, doors, and skylights.
The major benefits of the Lono LLC technology include:
- Energy Efficiency: In the summer, heat from radiation enters the home primarily through windows and skylights. Similar to the effect of smart window technologies, the use of SmarterShade results in a much more energy efficient household. Estimates of the energy savings due to smart window applications are 20-40%.
- Price: Our technology is significantly less expensive than other smart glass technologies.
- Aftermarket Application: Unlike other smart window technologies, SmarterShades can be applied to an existing skylight. The solution is not dependent on the window replacement cycle. All existing skylights are a candidate for a SmarterShade
- Controllable Light: With SmarterShade installed, a touch of a button dials the natural light up or down, with minimum visual obstruction. SmarterShade presents an easily adjustable way to control this. Contemporary skylight shades only give on, and off states and are much less intuitive to operate. SmarterShade actually offers the user the option of a smooth transitioning to various tint levels. This means the user has a lot more than a simple on/off at his/her disposal.
- Manual Option: SmarterShade can be manually operated. In applications that are easy to reach, switching can be achieved with the slide of a lever, just like miniblinds.
- Blocks UV Rays: UV rays can enter traditional windows without tinting treatments. SmarterShade can prevent furniture bleaching caused by these UV rays.
Easy Cleaning: Just Windex and wipe, like any glass surface. SmarterShade needs no extra cleaning effort or products.
Electronic Control: In skylight and other remote applications, elelctronically controlled SmarterShades will feature a remote control for simple operation. You can push a button to tint a whole wall of windows.
- Remove protective sheet
- Place SmarterShade in skylight frame so the screw holes line up
- A molded-in plastic stud will snap in place, firmly securing SmarterShade
- Tighten with 4 included setscrews